SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Frugal Grocery Shopping Tips

Last week, Rona over at BerryMorins Bits and Tips posted this about frugal grocery shopping. She wondered how the heck it was possible to spend $50 or less on groceries per week. I personally spend less than $50 a week. I've decided to change our budget... it was going to be $25 a week, now I'm thinking $30 or $35 (yes, that extra even $5 can help A LOT at times.) Anyway, here is a few tips I've learned to help keep my grocery bill under control.
1. I DO NOT take my husband into the grocery store. EVER. When I did I would spend $20 or $30 on NOTHING. I don't even know how it was possible. But it was.
2. Make a list. And stick to it. Unless something would be free after coupon and sale, if it wasn't on your list when you made your list (at home where you saw what you NEEDED) then chances are you don't need it now.
3. I use coupons combined with a sale to get rock bottom prices on the things my family buys. When something we use a lot goes on sale, I stock up. I buy enough of the item to get us through to the next rock bottom sale. (I bought 12 boxes of dishwasher detergent for $0.52, 10 boxes of cereal for .50)
4. Menu plans have saved my grocery bill. I buy what I need to make the meal and to get us through the week. I want to try to make monthly meal plans. That way if something is on sale in the beginning of the month that I need for the end of the month I can get it on sale.
5. Coupons. Local Libraries have no use for coupons. They usually give them away! The Coupon Clippers, EBay, Hot Coupon World, and A Full Cup are just a few places you can "buy" coupons. Family and friends are also great places to get coupons.
6. We recently started using Angel Food. We also receive WIC. Use the resources available to you!!
Here are the answers I gave to the post Rona wrote:
Do you shop every week?
yes, although I'm trying to stop. ;) I find I'm buying things we don't need just because it's a "great deal". If I'm not at the store I can't spend any money.
Are you only going to one store to accomplish this?
mostly just the local store since it's a 45 minute drive (one way) to anything else
Do you always use coupons? If you do, do you purchase the Sunday newspaper, print from online websites, coupon swap?
YES. I do a little of all three. I never was under budget until I started couponing.
Are you purchase paid memberships with Sam's Club, BJ's, etc? If so, how does this work into your budget?
The only thing around us is Sam's (and that's an hour and a half.) Not worth it for us.
What's a bargain price on ground beef and boneless chicken breasts?
Ground beef is $1.89 for us. (80/20) Chicken is the same.
Is it a challenge to include fresh fruit and vegetables in a tight budget?
yes. I buy them anyway, especially in the summer. I stock up when the prices hit rock bottom(sometimes using the whole budget that week for fruits and veggies) and can or freeze them. We planted a garden this year which helped A LOT.
I'd love to hear your answers to these questions and learn your tips! Leave a comment!
This post is linked to WFMW.

2 comments:

  1. I also don't shop at warehouses and do most of my grocery shopping at one grocery store. I don't have the energy to track sales and traipse in and out of four or five stores a week! As you mention, it is more difficult to work in fresh produce, but by saving on staple products by using coupons and stocking up on sale items, I feel okay about spending money on fruits and vegetables. Great, comprehensive post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! So nice to read someone else's answers to these questions!

    I did a post on the same questions. :) You can read about it here

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails