- buy fruits and veggies in season when they cost less
- frozen and canned fruits and veggies cost less all year long. And they usually have the same nutritional value as fresh
- avoid pre-bagged salad mixes. they are more expensive and spoil faster.
When buying Meat and Beans:
- chuck or bottom round roast has less fat and is cheaper than sirloin
- dried beans an peas are a great source of protein and fiber. they also last longer without spoiling.
- look for specials at the meat counter. buy meat on sale!
- buy meat in bulk to save money. freeze what will not be used right away.
- look for day old bread. use it right away or freeze.
- buy regular rice, oatmeal and grits instead of instant.