SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Living Room - Final Update of Organizing Challenge

I can't believe I actually did this. But looking at some of the other bloggers accomplishments, I did nothing in comparison!

"I am not very organized. One of my goals in life is to be organized enough that I can find something important when I need it. I joke that I need a box to put all my important things in, just so I know where they are. (Of course, I'd probably lose the box!) I always put something where I know where it will be when I need it. And when it comes time that I need it, I have no clue where it is."

I chose our living room for this challenge because this is the room we are always in. It is the first room people see when they come in my house. And because we are always in it, it is always a mess. I started with the living room but I'm working on other areas of the house. There are several bags filled with toys and clothes waiting to be donated to our local thrift shop. I have freecycled lots of stuff. I can't wait until my whole house is organized and it's all thanks to this challenge!

Before:                                                              

After:


Before:


After:


Before:
After:


Before:



After:


1. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it?
The hardest part of this challenge for me was inlisting in my boys help. I usually do everything myself and to really complete this challenge I knew I would need to have help. But I am really proud of myself in the fact that I have overcome this. I get the boys to help me every night in putting their toys away. They might not get all the toys in the "right" place all the time but they are all off the floor every night. And that's good enough for me.

2. Tell us what kind of changes/habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order? 
In order for me to keep our living room clean and organzied, I have to make sure that I keep at it. One of my readers said it perfectly for me "The thing about organization is that it's a process. It has to be something that you resolve to do every day to keep it maintained... not something you do just every now and then when it hits the "chaos" stage." I was definitely the type of person to let it go until it hit the "chaos" stage. And it stayed in that stage for a few weeks. Now I make it a point to clean it every night and it stays nice and clean!


3. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
I got "rid" of tons of "stuff". Papers were recycled or filed. Some toys were thrown away, others were moved to the upstairs toy room. Other toys were moved to a bookshelf in our "other" room where the boys can get to them but they are out of sight. Still more toys are in a bag waiting to be donated (hopefully tomorrow). Lots of stuff was just thrown away. I couldn't believe how much stuff was there.


4. What creative storage solutions were you able to introduce in order to create additional space as well as establish some limits and boundaries?
I was running on a limited budget (think $0) so I had to use what I had. I stole some containers from other areas of the house that weren't even being used. There is three toys in the living room that have lots of pieces. All the little pieces are in totes. Everything else is either sitting on or under the table (neatly) or it is out. \


5. Why do you think you should win this challenge?
I think I should win because I can't believe I completed this challenge! This challenge is the baby step I needed to rediscover my life. I have carried this challege into the other areas of my life. I have saved money in the grocery store because I was able to find my coupons under the piles of stuff. [I'm hoping] My kids are on the road to being organized because of this challenge. It  has brought our family together.  So even if I don't win this challenge I have won. I am organzing my life and it feels wonderful!

I have to thank Laura for doing this.

10 comments:

  1. Bravo, you did an awesome job! (BTW, my living room looks like your before pictures pretty much all the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for getting the family involved!! I did it all by myself, but I'm pushing the family to help me keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what a transformation! Good for you! I bet it will be so much easier to manage now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the dog made it into one of the after photos - the way he's laying there, it looks like he's exhausted from all the organizing! ;-) Great job on your makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the dog enjoying the space. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, thanks guys! She would NOT move! So far so good keeping it up, but it's only been a week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did great, it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at all that clear floor space. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails