SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Friday, May 21, 2010

How to Have Sirloin on a Rump Roast Budget - Guest Post

Today I am excited to share with you a guest post from one of my favorite foodies. Michelle blogs about how she is feeding her family All Home Cooking. All Year Long. After you read her guest post, you have got to go check out some of her recipes! They are to die for!

How to Have Sirloin on a Rump Roast Budget
Yesterday, at my local grocery store, I purchased ground sirloin for the same price as the bulk-packed ground beef. You know the one: it’s very…erm…marbled with fat, scarcely any red at all, but rather a strange pinkish-brown color. The pack that the butcher prices lower if you buy in bulk? Yeah, I bought ground sirloin for the same price.


I didn’t use a coupon.


It wasn’t on sale. (But if it was on sale I could have bought it for even less than the mystery meat!)


And now, I’m going to share my secret with you. Are you ready?


Pass by the ground meats section and head for the roasts. Pick one up, walk over to your friendly butcher, and ask him to please grind it for you.


That’s it. That’s all there is to it. Had I purchased the ground sirloin from the ground meats section, I would have paid nearly $4.00 per pound. Because I picked up a roast at $2.69 a pound, and asked my butcher to grind it, I paid $2.69 per pound.


You come here to the Feeding Four blog and learn all about using coupons and maximizing your grocery dollar by pairing coupons and sales. This little tip of mine will help you where coupons seldom can: in the fresh meat department! You can use my little trick on just about anything. Ask them to cut a roast into steaks for you. Grind some boneless, skinless chicken breasts into ground chicken.


You can even buy a large, fully-cooked ham and ask them to slice it for you! Bye-bye, deli prices!


When you come home, feeling rather smug about your new trick, why not put that freshly ground beef to good use? Here’s a recipe to get you started:


Cheeseburger Enchiladas


Serves 4

What You Need:

• 1 lb ground beef
• ¼ cup diced onion
• 1 can diced tomatoes (or diced tomatoes with green chilies), drained
• ¼ cup sour cream (plus more for serving, if desired)
• 12 corn tortillas, warmed
• 1 ½ cups shredded cheese (I like cheddar)
• Lettuce and tomato for serving, if desired

How it’s Done:
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef with the onion, then drain off any extra grease. Set aside.
2. Puree the diced tomatoes with the sour cream.
3. Spray an 8” square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Dip a tortilla into the tomato-sour cream mixture. Sprinkle a little ground beef and cheese (reserve ½ cup of the cheese) in it and roll it up. Place, seam side down, into the baking dish. Continue until all tortillas have been filled.
5. Spread remaining sauce and cheese over the top of the dish and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
6. Let the dish stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream. Enjoy!


Michelle writes about cooking from scratch with real foods each day on her blog, All Home Cooking. All Year Long.

9 comments:

  1. That's a great tip! And your Cheeseburger Enchiladas look absolutely mouth watering! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i keep meaning to try this...and i really should! just never.do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! These are things I had never thought about and are fabulous savings! Make my life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your post! The enchiladas look Gooooood....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat tip! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... anyways, we prefer to grind our own meat here too and have a small grinder, it's just a pain to clean. Don't forget to try it with turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, but if a comment was posted under KHAOS, can you please delete/remove it? Its Sonny Boys band account, and well, I don't think they would think it's too 'rock star' like :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips Michelle! I do the whole ham and have the deli slice it for me, too :) I love finding ways around the 'regular prices' :)

    This is a cool blog, I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails