SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

WFMW - Removing Cat Pee from your Carpet

Ok, so while this isn't exactly the most wonderful topic to discuss, if you have cats, I know you've probably been wondering how to get the cat pee smell out of your carpet. I know I was.


If you'll remember, the hubs and I JUST replaced our carpet. The main reason we did so is because the cat I have had for 15 plus years had decided to us it as her litter box. I couldn't send her to the pound, so when I can't watch her, she is locked in a room with a litter box. (I know this sounds cruel, but it is a rather big room. Much bigger than a cage would be.)

The other day, I was fixing dinner and she was... somewhere. I walked into the living room and there. on my floor. was cat poop. I was furious. I picked her up (she was on the couch) and walked outside. I [gently] set her down and walked away. Now, every morning I bring her outside, (to our fenced in backyard) and every night I bring her inside and put her in her room. I searched and searched and searched for a way to get the smell out. Because we just replaced the carpet and I am not doing it again. I found this recipe and it works! I was soooooo excited. :)

16 oz hydrogen peroxide
1 teaspoon dish washing liquid (I use Dawn)
1 tablespoon baking soda

Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle. Soak the offending area. Let dry. (You may need to vacuum a white foam away once the area has dried) The smell should be gone!

This totally works for me!!

3 comments:

  1. I was drawn to your post because we recently did take a cat to the pound for this very reason. She was living in the laundry room because I didn't trust her anywhere else.

    I just want to add a disclaimer that if you have darker carpet, test on a hidden area before putting the peroxide mixture onto it...I believe that peroxide will bleach/stain!

    Keep lovin' your stinker of a cat! And if you decide to give up on her, feel free to e-mail me for counseling since we've been through it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have used this on our bedroom carpet which is a dark brown and it did not bleach the carpet. (I'm NOT saying it won't bleach your carpet though! ALWAYS test a spot first!) And I did mean to add that in there, thanks for reminding me!

    I hope we end up keeping her, but I'm not sure what to do! She is old so I know she won't get adopted at the shelter. :(
    Thanks for the offer for counseling! I just might take you up on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear sometimes I wish we never had dogs, too! Its one reason I havent been in a huge hurry to replace the carpet in my bedroom that I ripped out before our Rot was put down a YEAR AGO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails