SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I made tortillas!

I wasn't in the mood for anything on our meal plan last night so I asked C what he was in the mood for. I should have known what he would say as the answer is always the same - enchiladas. This time though, he had a special request. Enchiladas with no beans. (Last time I made them I added black beans, daddy wasn't very happy.) When I went to make dinner, I realized I had only 5 tortilla shells. The recipe makes at least 12 so I had a problem. A was napping and I did not want to go out in the heat so I improvised. I made my own. :)

You need:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons of butter (softened)
1/2 - 3/4 cup of warm water


Combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter in a medium bowl.

Slowly add water (I used between 1/2 and 3/4 cup) and mix until a smooth dough is formed. If the dough is too sticky, add a some more flour.

Roll dough into smallish balls. Set on a plate and let rest for about ten minutes.


Flatten one ball at a time and roll into a circle. Place in skillet or on griddle and cook until the top is white (30-45 seconds depending on how high your heat is) Flip and cook 25(ish) more seconds.(until the bottom is white also)

Remove to plate and serve with your favorite recipe!


They were a bit small for Enchiladas but they worked. Next time I think I'll double the recipe and make the balls bigger.


2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Good for you for making your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get the frick outta town, did you really make them? were they soft and pliable? The ones in the store are like impossible and they crumble... so these are flour tortilias? Gonna try your hand at making corn ones too? I'm officially beyond impressed now! What'd you smash them with?

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails