SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

WFMW - Yard Sales

Yesterday was the annual Mile Long Yard Sale not too far from my mom's house. Since we were already down there for the Fourth, it seemed silly not to go! I am so glad we did because I found a TON of great stuff!

Cuisinart CSB-76BC SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, Brushed ChromeThe one thing I found that I think I am the most excited about it a handheld blender. I have been wanting one for a long time. I had looked at them around Christmas time, then decided on something that was more practical. I found one yesterday for $2! I was so excited! I'm looking up mayonnaise recipes and trying to find time to get my butt in the kitchen to whip some up. I still have lots of eggs so I'm thinking I found a way to use them up. I also found a great big bowl that will be great to make bread in. And canning jars! I bought a box full of them for $6. There was 18 jars in the box, making them $.33 a piece!
I also got A some pajamas for winter. That's really what I was looking for but this is all I found. Everywhere else that had clothes his size were on the expensive side for a yard sale. In my opinion anyway.


Oh! I also found a cat carrier! I was so excited but the lady was making all these excuses on why she couldn't budge on the price so we said "OK" and left. We finished our "shopping" and went back to the house with the cat carrier. It was still there. So my mom made the lady an offer and the lady said that was fine. I am so relieved that I don't have to go pay $40 for a carrier that will get used maybe once a year. Mama needs to get fixed here soon and I was stressing because I didn't have a carrier. Now I can chill. :)

We got tons of stuff that was in great shape and that we needed yesterday. We didn't pay full price (retail price) on anything because we got it at yard sales!

A few of tips I use for when I go to yard sales are:
  • Have a list. If you go to yard sales and buy junk you don't need, you're wasting your money and junking up your house. If you have a list and stick to it, you won't buy stuff you don't need - saving you money, time and space!
  • Never pay sticker price! At yard sales, you are expected to haggle. Make an offer! The reason they are having a yard sale is to get rid of stuff. Make a (reasonable) offer and more than likely, you'll end up paying that price. If they won't budge or the price is still too high, thank them and leave. Come back towards the end of the day and if the item is still there, make another offer.
  • Carry a bag with you to carry all your goodies. A wagon works wonderfully too.
  • Don't buy something that is stained. The item is more than likely in the yard sale because they couldn't get the stains out themselves. 
Happy Bargain Hunting!

5 comments:

  1. Great tips! I heard about those mile long garage sales and I'm hoping to get to one before the summer's out. Hi! I'm your newest follower from the TTA blog hop. Hope you'll come visit my blog and follow me too okay. Thanks! You really found some real bargains at the sales. I can't believe you only paid $2 to the hand blender. Wow. The pjs also look new - I gotta get to one, I just gotta. Great blog!

    Haupi
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Hollywood Chic follow, returning the favor. Love amazing yard sale deals! You should check out the product How Many Days ago if your into canning. They are PR friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now I feel like I'm junking up my house and not taking my own advice :) I did haggle a little though but I didn't go with a list. These tips are similar to the ones I posted back when I went to the community yard sale in my neighborhood. LOVE yard sales. Wish I could've stayed at that one much longer but it was so hot! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder WHAT to do with stained clothes when i KNOW there are kids that don't have ANY clothes at all... ya know. It seem so frivilous to throw it away because I can't get the stain out rather than give it to SOMEONE that needs it. :( Ya know..

    I hate haggling at yard sales... which is probably why I never have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I am your newest follower from Thursday's Friend Hop. Come link up your bargains on my Frugal Finds page. www.momsplans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails