- Make them play in their own rooms. I know, this is like a foreign concept now a days to some people. I know it is to my boys anyway. They have so much *crap* that they have a whole room filled with toys. Plus everything in each of their rooms. They love to pull out the toy box (we use an under the bed tote) and go through it. They can spend hours doing this - simply because they usually don't play with these toys!
- Play dough - I keep a tub of it in my kitchen with all kinds of neat "tools". They use plastic knives, forks, cookie cutters, and rolling pins to make all kinds of cool creations.
- Color - Hand them some paper and crayons and let them scribble away! Hang their finished artwork on the kitchen cabinets to show it off!
- Activities in a bag - Training Happy Hearts has tons of ideas for you!
- Create a Scavenger Hunt - Write (or draw) pictures to clues that lead to a big prize! (For my boys that would be a small piece of candy :) )
- Puzzles - Both my boys love doing puzzles. They do need the occasional help from me, but if I set them up at the table they're good to go.
- Refrigerator Magnets - We have the Fridge Word: Magnetic Word Builder by Leapfrog. My boys love playing with it and I love that they're learning (and re-learning) their letters, sounds, ABCs and words! Or, just give them some "regular" magnets and let them play! My boys love re-arranging the magnets on our fridge.
- Puppets - Let them practice a puppet show while you cook. When you're done, let them perform it for you.
- Computer Games - My boys love Starfall, NickJr and PBS Kids.
- Let them help! - My boys love helping in the kitchen! There are some things they can do, but some things they can't. The other night, C helped us chop peppers. He didn't do as well as I would have liked but he loved being able to help do "big boy" things with us. He was very careful not to cut himself. Sometimes they just stir the pot.
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
I was planning on sharing some fun things to do with a ball this week. But in light of all my time in the kitchen, I decided to share some of the things I do to keep my boys busy while I'm working in the kitchen. This list would also be handy to have when you plan on your next freezer cooking day!