SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Cooking is my Passion - Garden Chili

This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of Haagen Dazs. All opinions are 100% mine.


One of the things that I have become very passionate about this year is cooking healthy, homemade meals for my family. One of the biggest satisfactions I get is when I serve my boys something I've made that is healthy for them and they love it!

I used to hate cooking. When hubby and I first got married, we mostly ate quick dinners - pizza, tacos, frozen meals or take out. When C came along, I cooked a little more, but it felt like such a chore to me.  I never branched out and tried something new. And to make up my own recipe? You must be kidding!

It's just been the past two years that I have really started caring about what my family and I eat. I've been cooking from scratch a lot more lately and I absolutely love it. My boys love helping me in the kitchen which is great bonding time for us. Another plus is that I'm teaching them how to cook as well.

When I saw this post from Michelle at All Home Cooking, I knew I had to try out some chili with all my garden veggies. I had tons and tons of tomatoes left and lots of peppers from our garden. I usually make chili from scratch anyway, but had been using tomato sauce and no actually veggies. Hubby agreed to chili in the middle of summer because I promised cornbread (which I also made from scratch and it didn't turn out). This was the best chili I have ever eaten. And the leftovers taste even better (I've had them for lunch every day this week).


Garden Chili

1 lb ground turkey (or beef or whatever meat you'd like)
2 cups frozen kidney beans (equal to 2 - 15 ounce cans)
2 large sweet bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 small onion, diced
4 sweet banana peppers, seeded and diced
2 tomatoes - chopped (I didn't seed or peel mine)
6 oz tomato paste (I used homemade)
2 TBSP ground cumin
5 TBSP chili powder


Brown ground turkey. Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with cornbread, cheese and sour cream.

Haagen-Dazs is has created a series of video interviews, Passion Profilesan original online series featuring some of Canada's most intriguing personalities.
Passion Profiles is a talk-show that takes a unique and rare glimpse at the authentic and demanding passions that define some of Canada's finest Chefs, Designers and Musicians. You as the, viewer will be intrigued, inspired and entertained.
Hosted by ET Canada's Cheryl Hickey, Passion Profiles will take you into the lives Canada's most entertaining personalities. She brings the best out in the guests with stories from their lives and insights to inspire you. With her own passion for entertainment, style and people, Cheryl's years of experience enables her to get up close and personal with some of the hottest names around.

Chef Mark McEwan will be airing on an episode of the Passion Profiles on August 25, 2010. Make sure to go check out his episode!!


What are you passionate about?
 
Visit my sponsor: Our Passion is Ice Cream

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Is it this post you saw? http://cookathome2010.blogspot.com/2010/07/chiliwhen-its-less-than-chilly-outside.html

    I love, love, love that chili -- the chipotle chili powder is incredible in it and I had never used it before making that recipe.

    Garden-fresh recipes are so much tastier, aren't they? I'm sad that my summer garden is dwindling now, but that comes with living in the south. It's too stinkin' hot for stuff to keep growing.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails