SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

10 Things to do With Your Kids - In The Car

I know that sometimes, traveling with kids in the car is no fun. My parents live an hour away from us and we usually see them once a week. There are tons of ways to keep kids busy in the car, here are 10 of the ways I've found!

  1. Give your child a cookie sheet and magnets. My kids love magnets. Give your children a cookie sheet (with raised edges so the magnets don't go anywhere) and have them line up the ABC's, put numbers in order, or spell words.
  2. Take pictures - give your son/daughter a camera and let them snap away! Disposable cameras work great for this. My boys love to take pictures and it's so funny to see what they like to take pictures of! If you have a Kid-Tough Digital Camera, they can view their pictures whenever they want!
  3. Play "Who Am I?" My boys love this game the most! Give a few clues (we usually do three) and have them guess what you're thinking of. For example "I am red, have a siren and a ladder, who am I?" Answer - firetruck
  4. Let them steer - A toy steering wheel is the coolest thing ever for little ones! They feel so grown up driving just like mommy and daddy.
  5. Storybook on CD - my boys don't understand that when mommy is driving, I can't read a story to them. I check out books on tape from our library and it's just like mommy is reading to them.
  6. Create a travel journal - Keep a notebook and some crayons in the car. Every time you go on a trip have your child write or draw pictures about your journey. What did they see? Where did they go? What exciting things happened along the way? It will be interesting for them to look back in a few years and see what was important to them.
  7. Sing! What a better time than this to teach your children some new songs? Turn on the radio and sing along, make up your own songs, or sing some old favorites. A few of my boys favorites are "Big Green Tractor", Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.
  8. Play I Spy - who can spy something green, something yellow, something brown? Sometimes the games you played as kids will be your kids favorites too.
  9. The ABC Game  - Start at A and see if you can find the whole alphabet in order.
  10. Backseat Bingo - Here is some downloadable bingo cards for you and the rules, etc.
Don't forget to check out my other children's activities. If you have any games or activities your family likes to play in the car - please share in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing some great ideas!! It definitely helps to have a plan when traveling with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I'll keep that in mind for our next road trip. We drove to the beach over labor day weekend and relied heavily on the portable DVD player and a lot of singing and goofiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really great ideas! I love the magnet idea. We rarely go somewhere far, but I won one of those dvd players a few years ago, and it works great!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails