SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Home Made Ketchup

A few weeks ago, I shared with my Facebook Friends that I was making ketchup. Quite a few people asked me for the recipe. Being as it was my first time making ketchup, I wanted to make sure it tasted good before sharing it. :)


You'll need:
Tomatoes - forgive me, but I really don't know how much I had. There was enough that when I had squeezed the juice out of them all, they filled my largest pot.
2 1/2 cups vinegar
3/4 cup sugar - you can use white, I used brown
1 cup chopped onions
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground mustard
3 tbsp allspice
3 tbsp celery seed

Your first step (which is optional, mind you) is to peel the tomatoes. I didn't. I was home by myself with the boys and wasn't able to spend all day in the kitchen. Then squeeze all the excess water/seeds out of the tomatoes. Throw all the squeezed tomatoes into a big pot and cook for about an hour on low - until the tomatoes are soft. While the tomatoes are cooking, put the vinegar in a small pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Tie the celery seed in a cheesecloth and toss it in the vinegar. Drain tomatoes and run through a food processor (or your newly acquired food mill :) ) Now you can either put the tomatoes in a large crock pot, or back into the pot you cooked them in. I opted for the crock pot. Take the cheesecloth out of the vinegar and discard. (The cheesecloth, not the vinegar). Add vinegar and remaining spices to the tomatoes. Cover, but leave the lid vented to let steam escape. Cook on high (in a crock pot) or low (on the stove) for 14 hours, or until ketchup has thickened to your liking. This should last a while in the fridge, but I would suggest you can or freeze what you aren't going to use within a month or two.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I might have to try that. Just popping in from the Thursday hops & now following.

    http://livingwellspendingless.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. following you from Thursday Blog Hops! loving your blog already! i'd love if you came and joined my blog, too!! i have been looking for an easier recipe for homemade ketchup... thanks for the recipe! if you follow back, would you let me know where you got your celery seed?

    best,
    april

    www.marineparents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Homemade ketchup! I can't wait to try this out :) Now I'm off to find a ton of tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!
    New follower! Come check out our blog at www.mommyhoodmayhem.com

    We're looking forward to learning more about you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. new follower from hink of Me Thursday! If you get a chance, come see me at Here A Coupon There A Coupon! I have a low entry giveaway ending tonight!
    www.hereacouponthereacoupon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to try homemade ketchup! Thanks for breaking it down step by step. :)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails