SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Guest Post - Getting Started With Cloth Diapers

Today we have a guest post on cloth diapering from Michelle at The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom. Thanks Michelle!

First, thank you so much Keli for letting me be a guest blogger! My name is Michelle. I am the writer of the blog, The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom. I am 23 years old. I am married to Brian and mommy to Noah. One of my favorite things to talk about is cloth diapers. I love telling other moms about how I got started using them and I know a lot of moms have questions about them, so I love to help get those questions answered. Today I’m going to give you some tips and suggestions on how to get started cloth diapering on a budget. Some cloth diapers aren’t cheap, and up front costs can get up there. But with a little patience and work, you can start a great stash and start saving money sooner than you think!!
One of the most cost efficient types of diapers is prefolds and covers. Prefolds are the old fashioned diaper your mom used on you way back in the day and were pinned on your bum with big ugly white plastic pants to cover them. Luckily, today prefolds are nice and trim and the covers are colorful, trim, and don’t require pins! Prefolds average around $2 or less each and covers are usually $9-$11.

But if you’re like me, prefolds just don’t cut it for you. I have an 18 month old that pees A LOT! Plus I could never get the hang of prefolds very well. (Although I do hope to try again with next baby). So this is how we built our stash of pocket and all-in-one diapers without breaking the bank. We were able to start out with about 3 diapers. I used them, and then when he went through those 3, put him back in disposables. Then about a month later we were able to get 4 more diapers. So 7 diapers were about a days worth and I would just wash every night. Then every paycheck I would buy one or two more diapers, depending on what we could afford. It takes patience but it’s worth it!
Now we have a full stash of about 24 diapers. I wash them every other night with a few always left over for the next day. Here’s the great part….we are saving probably around $50 or more a month not having to buy disposable diapers! We buy a big box of disposables about one every 3 to 6 months and keep them on hand for just in case. It’s so nice compared to buying diapers every couple of weeks!!

So as you can see, being on a budget and cloth diapering is very possible! It takes a little longer and may be a little extra work at the beginning but it is SO worth it in the end! If you’re interested in learning more or have questions please come check out my blog! Thanks again Keli!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me guest blog! Here's the link to my blog in case anyone is interested!

    http://ftmommyferg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about other people who cloth diaper. I have used them for all three of my kids and they save us so much money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so I have a question...

    What about your water and elctric bill? They would go up from running the washer and the dryer all the time. And since I buy my diapers for no more than $3 a pack, wouldn't that be cheaper in the long run?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see washing cloth diapers as running the w/d all the time. I only have 1 load more per day with all my cloth diapers and wipes. Maybe if I had more than one child in diapers it would be more often.
    Before cloth, I wouldn't pay more than $4 per pack and stockpiled diapers up to size 5. Now I use cloth and have all these extra diapers around. We debate if we should donate them or use them. Anyway, I spent less than $30 for my ENTIRE stash of cloth diapers (I have AIO, Pockets and prefolds), covers and wipes. To me $30 is a LOT less than disposables would ever cost. And my diapers are all one size (meaning they fit from birth to potty training) so I don't have to re-invest!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails