SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Make Your Own Frozen French Fries!

Remember the 50 lb bag of potatoes I bought a few weeks back? My mom saw it and asked me the obvious question - "What are you going to do with 50 pounds of potatoes?!" I replied with the obvious answer "eat them!" I then explained we like potatoes in a lot of our fall recipes, Cheeseburger Soup, Chicken Corn Chowder, Potato Rolls, and Buffalo Chicken Baked Potatoes to name a few. But I think the boys enjoy potatoes most as french fries.


Sure, it's more convenient to grab a bag of frozen french fries at the store. But what if you could spend a few minutes throughout the day and make bags of your own? Then you would have the convenience of having the french fries in your freezer, ready to be thrown in the oven or the deep fryer. Plus, you know exactly what is in your fries, especially if you grew the potatoes yourself. And, it would be cheaper to make your own!
I would suggest investing in a Potato Cutter. I got one from hubby for Christmas last year, it was only about $15 and I use it all the time. (It can be used for all sorts of things, not just potatoes. I used it to cut zucchini this summer.)

The first thing you want to do is wash your potatoes. Stab them a few times with a knife and place them in a baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for about an hour and a half or until potatoes are tender. Let cool. (I let mine cool until I could handle them and placed them in the fridge overnight.)

After the potatoes have cooled, put them through your Potato Cutter. (You could skin them first, I don't mind the skin and I'm lazy so I leave it on.)


Cover a cooking sheet with parchment paper and place your cut fries on it. Freeze for a few hours or until firm. Place frozen fries in freezer safe baggies and put in freezer until ready for use.


When you want to eat them, take a baggie out of the freezer and cook like you would regular frozen fries! I find it takes about 5 minutes at 375 in my deep fryer.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. that potato cutter is a handy tool. I've seen them at restaurants but never any stores. I might have to search around for one as that could make for a handy tool. I've gotten into sweet potato fries as well here recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you via the Tuesday blog hop.. I am looking forward to some great tips...I am trying to cut our grocery budget!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower.
    www.addictedtosavingmoney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm a new follower from Follow Me back Tuesday Blog Hop. I would love for you to follow me back at Tips for Saving.

    http://ourtipsforsaving.blogspot.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails