SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How to Save Money While Using Your Oven


Frigidaire FFEW2725LS 27 Single Electric Wall Oven - Stainless SteelI am always looking for ways to save money. Even if it's just a few cents here and there, it can really add up. For instance, let's say your oven uses $0.15 cents per hour (running at 350 degrees). You have your oven on for an hour - baking time - and a half hour - preheating. That will cost you $0.225 a day to bake. (That's if you use your oven once a day at 350.) Which equals out to $6.975 a month. Not too bad.

What if you didn't preheat your oven. You would save $2.325 a month, or $27.90 a year. Now this is pocket change to some, but saving $28 for just not preheating your oven? I'll take it. :)

This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I eventually realized that when I followed recipe directions to preheat the oven as the very first step, I was often running the oven for 30 or 45 minutes, listening to the gas whoosh off and on, while I measured and chopped and mixed to get the food ready to bake!

    Now I don't turn on the oven until just before I grease the pan! If I'm baking something like a frozen pizza that needs no prep, I put it in without preheating, and it's usually done on time anyway or needs maybe 5 extra minutes.

    Another way to save energy with the oven is to turn it off 5-10 minutes before the end of baking, WITHOUT opening the door; the oven will maintain its temperature long enough to finish baking the food. For things that may not be done the first time I check them, I turn off the heat after the first checking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY?!?!?!? I had no idea it costs that much!
    Thank you!!!

    Blessings!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails