SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pantry Challenge Goals and Day 1

I've decided to join in with the many other bloggers in making the most with what we have this month. Our pantry is overflowing with goods. As are all three of our freezers. This month we're going to focus on using up what's in there. I have a meal plan for the month that will hopefully use up some of it.

My goals for this month are:
  • To use up enough of the freezer to be able to unplug one of them. We have 2 deep freezes - 1 of them needs to go. (Or at least be unplugged)
  • Make a few meals my family will eat using pantry ingredients. I have at least 30 jars of diced tomato and I'm not sure how to use them as we're not crazy about tomatoes.
  • Take a break from clipping coupons and hunting deals. This will leave me with more time for my family! I will still be buying coupon inserts weekly, but I'm *hoping* I have the strength to throw out the Giant ad. :)
I will still be buying milk and produce, as needed. We still have some fresh produce - apples, carrots, broccoli, celery, oranges and a few blueberries. I'm thinking that will last us a week, maybe a week and a half.

With today being the first official day of our pantry challenge, it was pretty easy to come up with something for dinner. We had sloppy joes (I added pureed pumpkin to this - no one even knew!)




 
and leftover corn. I served the sloppy joes on rolls that I fixed for dinner last night. Normally, I would've fixed potato rolls but with it being use it up month and all... :)

Are you planning a no spend month? What are your goals?

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! I don't have the stockpile that you do, but I do need to use my pantry up, mostly so I can restock it with new things :) I'm getting sick of what I have in there now. Can't wait to see what else you create this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey- just saw your post- so if you're organizing your pantry you need to check out the awesome sale on Tupperware modular mates! PLUS I'm offering everything at MY COST until the 14th- Modular mates are already 40% off, so with my cost it makes them SUPER cheap!
    Check it out- and feel free to spread the word, I'm excited to get everyone great deals so feel free to buy as much as you want whatever you want at my cost :)
    www.atozformomslikeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, 3 freezers! I'm starting to feel silly being a host of this challenge. I have one tiny freezer that's not even full. My cupboards look bare compared to what I've seen from other participants. Funny how perspectives vary from person to person.

    Have you thought about cooking down your diced tomatoes into tomato sauce? It would take up more room in the freezer, but if it gets your family to eat it it might be worth it.

    I always make sloppy joes with pureed something. Usually butternut squash, but sometimes pumpkin. Or both. Learned that from Jessica Seinfeld's book.

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge!


    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. we don't have a stockpile of food to speak of....and have been making due pretty much for awhile now....I love the idea of this challenge. I've only been about to spend about $10-12 a week on groceries and then he will pick up milk on his way home when we need it.
    We desperately need to go get some meat for the deep freeze!
    Today he did go to the store to buy a whole chicken to rotisserie, that sure was good! I made mashed potatoes with the potatoes left from Christmas, and made turkey gravy from a package that I've had over a year. His sister supplied the frozen veggies for our meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I did this a few months of last year. It was amazing how many meals could be made from what was on hand. Good luck with the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have a LOT of food in your house! That's awesome! I'm hoping to be in the same place one day!!! Better to donate then let expire, that's my opinion!!!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails