SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen - Lasagna!

I love lasagna. But, usually I'm too cheap to buy the cottage cheese to make the lasagna. I'm not sure why, I mean, it's only like $1.50, but I just don't like to buy it. This lasagna uses cream cheese instead. When I first read the recipe, I thought "gross!" (I'm not a fan of cream cheese), but I wanted to try it to see if it tasted anything like "my" lasagna.

This lasagna is so good! It does take a few extra steps to prepare, but the end result is so worth it!! This recipe used a lot of things that have been sitting in our pantry/freezer for a while. And we got 2 dinners and three days worth of lunches out of it!


1 pound ground beef - $1.99
1 tsp minced Garlic
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
3 cups pasta sauce - homemade - free
1 cup chicken stock - homemade - free
8 ounces cream cheese, softened - free (coupon + sale)
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese - $1.05
lasagna noodles - free (coupon + sale)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese - $0.14

Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Stir in pasta sauce and spices; simmer for 2 minutes. Season to taste.Set aside.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add cream cheese, turn heat to low, and whisk until smooth, about 6 minutes.

Spoon 2 tbsp of pasta sauce into bottom of the pan. Place a layer of lasagna noodles and top with half the meat sauce. Sprinkle 1 cup grated mozzarella over the meat mixture. Top with 3 or 4 lasagna noodles.
Pour the cream-cheese sauce over the noodles and cover with another cup of grated mozzarella. Arrange 3 or 4 lasagna noodles over the cheese, then spoon remaining meat mixture over noodles. Top with the rest of the mozzarella and the Parmesan. Bake until brown and bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.

I served this with SnoWhites French Bread and a salad.

Total lasanga cost : $3.18 (divided by 3 - 2 meals and 3 lunches = roughly $1.06 a meal)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I haven't made homemade lasagna before because all the recipes I had used cottage cheese and ricotta cheese...both of which I hate! :) I will definitely be trying this one at home! Thanks for the great recipes!

    :) Rachel
    http://livingbetteronedayatatime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a lasagna with cream cheese before. You have piqued my curiosity. I am going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, I think cream cheese would be a great addition to lasagna!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails