SwagBucks

Have you tried Swagbucks? Earn Free swagbucks just for searching the web and turn them into amazon gift cards, paypal cash, and more! Sign up now and get 30 FREE swagbucks!!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Feeding Four on $25 a Week - Stretching Meat

If you've been reading my blog long, you'll notice hubby is a real meat and potatoes kind of guy. I'm quickly learning C is as well. Stretching $25 a week feeding two meatatarians is a real challenge. I have got to get creative sometimes and that's just what I've done.

One of the ways I stretch our ground beef is by adding oatmeal to it. Yep, that's right, I add uncooked plain oatmeal to our meat. I usually only add 1/4 cup oatmeal to one pound ground beef. Any more than that and it will be noticeable. Obviously if you're making tacos or spaghetti you aren't going to add the oatmeal. Hamburgers, meatballs and meatloaf is basically what I use it in. I can usually get 2 more burgers out of the meat when I add in oatmeal.


Hubby walked in the kitchen one day as I was adding the oatmeal and he kind of freaked out. I said "dear, I've been doing this for months and you haven't noticed the difference." The next time he made burgers, he asked where the oatmeal was.

What ways do you stretch your meat?

3 comments:

  1. great idea, and oatmeal is healthy for you. I do it when making meatballs and loaves. better for you then crackers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keli!!,
    My Mother in Law does this, not to stretch the meat but because that is the way they like it. She adds spices that they like with it and enjoy.

    I would like it better because I am not much of a meat eater, I am not a vegetarian, but I just am not crazy about meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea...I had never thought of adding oatmeal! I like to cook a lot of casseroles because the amount of meat they call for serves more people when it's mixed with other stuff and my meat loving husband is still satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails